The purpose of this course is to help you become a skilled, productive, and safe dump truck operator, as well as provide you with the knowledge of how to help reduce operating and maintenance costs. As you proceed through this course, you'll learn about the machine, how it works, and how to inspect it daily. You'll also learn how to control and operate the machine.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
• Identify safe operating practices and warnings.
• Discuss how to perform a pre-use and post-use inspection.
• Identification and use of controls, gauges, and indicators.
• Discuss correct start-up and shut-down procedures.
• Demonstrate operating techniques for loading, hauling, and unloading material.
• Identify ways to park and secure the truck at the end of the day.
Lesson 1: Introduction
• Review the content of the entire course.
• Overview of the types of dump trucks and basic safety.
Lesson 2: Getting to Know Your Truck
• Identify key truck components.
• Identify controls and understand their usage.
• Identify instrumentation and gauges.
• Understand and respond to warning indicators provided by the manufacturer.
Lesson 3: Pre-use and Post-use Inspection
• Explain the importance of completing a pre-use inspection.
• Identify general things to look for when inspecting your truck.
• Identify the steps to take to complete a pre-use inspection.
Lesson 4: Operation
• Perform safe pre-start procedures.
• Perform proper starting procedures.
• Prepare to operate the truck safely.
• Safely park the truck.
• Shut down the truck.
Lesson 5: Loading
• How to safely approach the loading area.
• Different loading techniques and why they are used.
• Various ways to position your truck when loading.
• Correct spotting methods for over-the-rail and thru-the-tail loading.
Lesson 6: Hauling
• Explain the final preparations for highway travel.
• Understand safe rules of the road.
• Explain how to properly negotiate corners and turns.
• Demonstrate use of auxiliary lift axles.
• Explain the process for starting travel and braking.
Lesson 7: Unloading
• Understand how to properly approach the dump area.
• Identify the basics required to dump the load.
• Understand the process for dumping with or without a spotter.
• Identify ways to avoid roll-over accidents.
• Explain changes to make when dumping on an incline.
Final Exam – 30 question exam with incorrect response feedback
Trainers: Before you begin classroom or field training, why not provide your trainees with a solid foundation of knowledge about the equipment and how to operate it safely? This e-learning training course can be delivered anytime, anywhere you have access to a high-speed internet connection.
Overall Course Specifications:
Estimated length of training program: 1 - 2 hours + final test
Number of test questions: 30
Printable Certificate of Completion: Yes, with person's name, date, and test score
Final Exam Feedback report: Yes
Immediate online delivery for one person - viewable for up to 60 days